Monday, February 15, 2010

Somewhat Interesting Crap

     A couple of things have been of interest to me lately.  Firstly, I (and most of the music world) have been eagerly awaiting Varg Vikernes' newest Burzum album.  Obviously this is going to be a monster of a release (anyone who says it isn't is just trying to sound cool) and the samples that have been floating around sound promising.  Something that surprised me was that he used a photograph for the cover (he usually uses fuckwin illustrations from the likes of Theodor Kittelson):

 
     Varg had this to say about it: "The "Belus" front cover photo was taken about 2 km from my home in Bø. I chose it because it suited the concept; Belus is a solar deity, and he remains a mystery on the front cover, because you cannot see him. You can only see the sun rays though the mist. Also, the deities, all the deities in fact, were originally tree spirits, and therefore I think the tree blocking our view to Belus himself fits perfeclty. The pine tree blocking our view to Belus is, by the way, dedicated to Kaimadalthas (Heimdallr ["world tree"])."
     He doesn't say whether or not he took the photo himself, but I just thought it was really interesting that he sees so much in this photo.  When I first looked at it I didn't think shit.

     I was reading Machiavelli's The Prince the other day (my uncle let me swipe it from his bookcase) and I found there were a couple of his poems added to the backgrounds section at the back of the book.  I don't want to type it all, but here's a bit of his "On Occasion" (think "Opportunity" instead):

-Tell me then: who's this person by your side?
-She's pentinence; and this you'd better note,
Who misses me, gets her to be his bride.
And you who stand here talking, you who dote
On idle chatter, while the hour lingers,
Wise up a bit, you klutz, you've missed the boat,
And I've already slipped between your fingers!

     Basically, if you've been wanting to something, fucking do it already!  Paint some shit, start a band, get outside, whatever.  Do it up before you regret sitting on your ass reading my blog instead!

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Varg Vikernes and Machiavelli in the same blog entry!?

colin sussingham said...

fuck yes